Saturday, November 24, 2012

Salad #1 - Pea and mint

This Summer is bringing two new things to my life:

1. Farmers markets. Just about every year I have wanted to start visiting the Farmers markets as we have lots of them all around town every weekend. Or if not visiting a Farmers market, then we need to go to a school fete or some other kind of market thingy. I guess the main thing is to get me out of the house.. to see new things and even socialize a little bit.
We have done it now three weekends in a row. First we went to Mornington farmers market, last weekend we attended a school fete at the local primary school and today we visited a farmers market in Mt.Eliza. Lovely!

This is my loot from today:
Mint, snowpeas, asparagus, pears, crown salad mix, carrots, strawberries, cherries

2. Salads. I so so so so want to start eating healthier and lose some weight. I just get really overwhelmed with food and don't quite know what to do... :(  Of course, I am a major comfort eater, so I need to figure out what to do when I am feeling sad or bored etc. Eek!

I have bookmarked a loooooooooong list of salads and will start making them one by one. It sucks though that all the vegetables seem to be soooo expensive. :(   The ideal thing for me would be to go to the markets, buy what is cheap at the moment and then try make salads by using those ingredients! Scary, scary, but exciting, too.

So today, at the market, I got some lovely things for making salads. I remembered reading a recipe for this pea and mint salad, so I bought some snowpeas and the most amazing salad mix. It is called crown mix. Instead of lettuce, it has pea shoots, wild rocket and lots of other things. I like it a lot and will definitely keep buying it! On the way home we stopped at the supermarket and got sugar snap peas and frozen peas.
This salad is absolutely delicious! I loved everything about it, certainly not least the fresh mint. I have only just recently discovered fresh mint and I am in LOVE! It is so delicous. I so love that flavour. No doubt I will be using it very often from now on. I really should try growing it myself actually. Hmm...

So, if you have any great salad ideas, just send them my way. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment